Sunday, March 23, 2008

'Traditional' Easter Dinner Bites

There are a few meals within the year that I get truly excited for weeks in advance. Easter Dinner is one such meal. In my family, Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter Dinners traditionally consisted of turkey with all the trimmings. However, as I've become more involved in all things culinary, I've managed to sneak in a few additions to liven up these festive meals-with Easter Dinner though, I've met my match.

I'm cool with the turkey for Christmas and obviously for Thanksgiving, but Easter is a time of new beginnings, of new birth...and for me that only means one thing- spring lamb! What? I know, it's a little morbid, but it's the perfect way to start the season. Just think of it, a delicious rack of lamb encrusted with pistachios, served with sweet potatoes and maybe even a cherry glaze-mmm. Ok, ok, I'll deviate. Perhaps a nice brown sugar-baked ham with fingerling potatoes and asparagus would be more to your liking? I'll even suggest a meaty salmon fillet with Hollandaise, roasted new potatoes and some crispy sugar snap peas!

I'll admit, I do appreciate Easter Dinner as a time to sit back, relax and enjoy the anticipation of Spring, but please- hold the gobbler. 'Cause the way I gobble turkey, twice a year is plenty.

No comments: