Monday, February 27, 2012

Hart & Thistle - TeamBuy's new deal!


I’m super excited to write this post as a first-time TeamGal!  I’ve been recruited to write and do reviews of various restos, cafes, etc. in Halifax and then report the experience as the TeamBuy deal goes live.

The Hart & Thistle on Halifax’s waterfront is a favorite spot of mine during the summer, when I can sip one of their micro beers on the sun-drenched patio.  I’ve even done some writing there from time to time – with beer in hand, of course.

This time, it’s 4:00 pm on a Saturday and there are only a few people inside.  It’s really nice though; a bright, comfortable spot to get some work done as I wait for my company.  The piano player seems to have a fondness for Elton John – which is fine by me.

I ask to order a micro-brew and the server describes the two current brews; Mad Man – at 7% alcohol, an IPA and Rocket Man – at 8%, a double IPA.  Appropriate, given the tunes!  I taste them both and decide I’m partial to the Mad Man; it’s a bit more zippy than the other, and with nothing yet in my stomach, I’m wise not to start on a 8% brew!

When my bf arrives, he orders a Muddled Cucumber ($6.09) and the Calamari immediately; panko crusted, it's served with tomato jam and sweet chili mayo.  Served on a slate tile, the pile of squid is tender and the batter, crisp.  We gobble them up quickly, piling each bite with the sweet mayo and yummy tomato jam.



As the server clears our plates, I order a pint of Stella Artois, while Mitch gets a Keith's.  We put in our orders for the 2-piece Maritime Fish n' Chips ($12) and an 8 oz. NY Striploin ($18).   

The lightly battered haddock is tasty; it's crisp and not too greasy.  Served with PEI russet fries and a house-made tartar sauce, I managed to eat one whole piece and then pick the batter off the other.  The quality of fish is excellent and the tartar sauce is delish.  



Mitch's steak is served with frizzled onions, vegetables of the day and horseradish potatoes. The steak is great - full of flavour.  The vegetables are the highlight of this dish for me though; they're al dente, so the carrots, cauliflower, asparagus and green beans still have a slight crunch.  The horseradish potatoes are OK - we think that they're not that fresh.



Believe it or not, after all that, we're still able to consume, so we decide on the dessert sampler platter ($15).  Another tile appears with a selection of the Hart & Thistle's desserts; a piece of bread pudding, a chocolate brownie in a pool of caramel sauce and a lovely oval-shaped disk of chocolate pate.  In the center, there's a small bowl of vanilla bean ice cream and a dollop of whipped cream with fruit.  This is a bad idea...but oh, so good!  I normally go for salty over sweet, but having had my fare share of salt tonight, this is a lovely change.  The brownie is dense and chewy, the bread pudding has a subtle caramel flavour and the chocolate pate tastes like the centre of a Lindt truffle.


We practically roll out of the restaurant, but it was a great way to spend a Saturday evening.  I love the Hart & Thistle on a hot summer's day, but now I love it on a cold winter's night as well!  

Make sure to check out today's TeamBuy: $35 of food for $17!  Click on the following link to see today's deal! http://bit.ly/wd6qev 



1 comment:

Brewnoser said...

Someone ordered Keith's at a great brewpub?