Tuesday, June 2, 2009

National Hunger Awareness Day

Today is National Hunger Awareness Day. If there's any subject that puts a frog in my throat and a knot in my stomach it's hunger. I say this in all seriousness- not because I love to eat, but because I can't imagine not being able to.

My heart breaks for those who have to choose between heating their homes or feeding their families. Likewise for children in third world countries, and even those here at home who wonder when and where they'll get their next meal.

Metro reported today that "at least 38,000 people use food banks in the province each month." Feed Nova Scotia went on to say that they are "bracing for at least 12 % increase in demand" for the organization's services.

I always donate at Christmastime or Easter, but today's message practically punched me in the face. There are people, maybe even your neighbours, to whom a luxury would be a peanut butter sandwich. I guess what I'm trying to say, and I'll take my own advice here, is- Step up people! And the next time your stomach growls, put yourself in someone else's shoes... imagine not having the means to silence it.

No comments: