Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Moroccan Turkey Stew

My mother was having some friends over for dinner the day after Boxing Day. Now, in our house, the Christmas Day meal is breakfast. Yup, that's right. Bacon, Ham, eggs, clementines, french toast, pancakes and champagne and OJ. Sidebar, Christmas Day is my favorite day of the year -I can eat as much as I want, drink as much as I want, and never have to get out of my PJ's!

Anyhow, we made an amazing turkey dinner on Boxing Day, and my mother wanted to incorporate it into her meal for company. Thus was born my Moroccan Turkey Stew.



Moroccan Turkey Stew

3 cups of turkey meat
1 can of Chickpeas, drained
1 large can of stewed tomatoes
1 cup of fresh spinach
1 medium sized sweet potato, chunked
3 large carrots, chunked
1/4 cup of tomato paste
1 med. white onion, thinly sliced.
2 cups of spinach
1 1/2 tsp. each of cumin, coriander and turmeric
pinch of Cayenne pepper
Salt & Pepper to taste


Preheat oven to 450. Toss Sweet potato and carrots with olive oil, and 1 tsp. of cinnamon, cumin, coriander and S&P. Roast for 15-20 minutes, until tender.

Heat olive oil on med. heat. Saute onions until soft, add garlic. Add tomatoes, and saute until tender. Add sweet potato and carrots and tomato paste. Deglaze the pan with chicken stock. making sure to scrape all those lovely brown bits off the bottom. Add turkey, chickpeas and stewed tomatoes. Season with remaining spices, salt and pepper. Add spinach and cover until spinach wilts.

Serve over brown rice with Naan or pita bread. I also added a fruit chutney on the side.

No comments: