Sunday, November 9, 2008

Spicy Chickpeas

The current contents of my fridge include these items: BBQ sauce, steak sauce, hot pepper jelly, wasabi, butter, milk and coffee, and... there might be some booze in there too. Shocking, but I have the fridge of a bachelor.

Last week, I had no desire to go out in the rain for groceries, and the sole edible item in my cupboard was a single, lonely can of chickpeas. I have an obsession with chickpeas; they're creamy, almost meaty, and I often eat them as a snack. They also make the best addition to soups, salads and any kind of vegetarian dish.

So, I decided to use what I had, and make spicy toasted chickpeas. The result was one of the best snack-like meals that I've ever made; great for cocktail parties, as a side dish, or as an appetizer. These things are so quick, it's unreal.


Spicy Chickpeas:

1 can of chickpeas, drained (540 mL)
1 tsp. cumin
fresh, cracked black pepper ( as much as you like!)

Method:

Dry the chickpeas on a paper towel and heat pan to medium.

Add the chickpeas to a hot pan and toss with pepper and cumin. Toast for 15-20 minutes until crispy.

That's it- Easy!

No comments: