Sunday, November 30, 2008

Grafton Street Dinner Theatre...and food phobias

This past week, I went to the Grafton Street Dinner Theater as for my office Christmas party. This is a great way to relax, have fun and get in the Christmas spirit! It was also a great way for me to get to know my new colleagues in a not so formal setting.


A delightfully creamy, seafood-packed chowda was my choice of appy. For a main, this company provides 6 choices! I, of course was the last to order but finally decided on jam-packed lobster crepes, fresh veg and a lovely creamy sauce. For dessert, a huge - and I mean huge, berry crumble of which I ate the entire thing. Sidebar - My camera died before I could photograph the tasty berry treat.

As much as I loved the food on this particular night out, I was more taken with the way the show set the wheels turning in my slightly (wine induced) cloudy brain. The show was about phobias. I have the "usual" phobias I guess - I'm petrified of sharks, and I'm not too fond of broccoli. However, I recently went for allergy testing, and I realized then and there that a true phobia of mine is the potential discovery of a food allergy.

It makes me sad when people are allergic to food. Allergies like seafood, nuts and berries - no bacon wrapped scallops, peanut M&M's and chocolate dipped strawberries? WHAT. Anyhow, it turns out that the allergies I had as a child remain: dust, dust, cats (sniff) and more dust. I have also determined this Christmas season that I might just be allergic to my Christmas tree as well. However, that is a small price to pay as Christmas comes but once a year, but bacon wrapped scallops are forever.

No comments: