Sunday, October 12, 2008

Dill's Atlantic Giant Pumpkin Farm

pumpkin welcomeThis weekend, my friend and I decided to go to the 24th Annual Pumpkin Regatta in Windsor, part of the Windsor-West Hants Pumpkin Festival. The festival features a weigh-off, carving contests and pumpkin recipes. Howard Dill, the man who started it all passed away this past summer at the age of 73, so sadly he wasn't here to see what this year's seedlings have become.



lifting pumpkinHere's me lifting one of Dill's beauts, a a 500 pounder. I almost had it...really!

This place is incredible. Dill's Atlantic Giant Pumpkin Farm features not only Cinderella's coach-type wonders, but a variety of little guys as well; gourds, squash and itty-bitty, fit-in-your-palm type pumpkins. Another high-light was the little kiddies bubbling with excitement to go home and carve their treasures.

giant pumpkinAnd so, we got ready to leave this children's (of all ages) playland, and headed back to the city. I couldn't resist taking one last photo. As I walked away from this slumbering gourd, I couldn't help but wonder what the night would bring. Would it be sprinkled with magic dust and come alive to take the princess to the ball? Or become a million pumpkin pies? I guess we'll never know...

http://www.howarddill.com/

No comments: